Expert advice on how to prepare for this year’s Manx Telecom Parish Walk is on offer at a special evening on Tuesday February 28th.
At this time of year many walkers are starting to train in earnest for the big day on June 17, and the evening allows anyone to get tips from a panel of coaches, physios and experienced walkers who answer questions from the audience. It’s being held at Keyll Darree Education and Training Centre near to Noble’s Hospital. Doors open at 5.30pm for a 6pm start. Entry is free, and tea, coffee and biscuits will be served. The event will last around an hour and a half.
On the expert panel will be:
• Stewart Jones: Began walking six years ago to get fit and is now a five time Parish Walk finisher. He has completed 100 mile walking events in the Isle of Man and New York, and won the UK National 24-hour race walking event.
• Roger Davies: Kuta Fitness personal trainer, four time Parish Walk finisher and ultra-endurance runner who has completed the Marathon Des Sables.
• Sharon Cain: Experienced endurance walker, twice a finisher of the Isle of Man End2End walk who completed the full Parish Walk on her sixth attempt.
• Nicola Raven: Has completed three Parish Walks, one Isle of Man End2End and two Isle of Man Firefighters’ Memorial Walks.
• Dr David Walker: A Doctor in Emergency Medicine at Noble’s Hospital, and six times Parish Walk finisher who has completed the Centurion walk in South Africa, and has several finishes to his name in the Isle of Man End2End and Firefighters’ Memorial Walks.
• Ben Scott: Sports therapist and ultra-distance athlete, he has completed five races over 100 miles and is an Isle of Man Marathon winner.
• Gavin Smith: Manx Telecom Marketing Communications Manager who completed the Parish Walk in 2015 and the following year was support crew for a finisher
Ray Cox, Manx Telecom Parish Walk Race Director will also be at the evening, and commented:
“As always, this year’s event will provide an opportunity to find out about training, nutrition, footwear, and to get tips from the experts on tackling the biggest walking challenge on the Island. The evening is aimed at all abilities with the focus very much on providing advice for the majority of participants who are aiming to achieve personal goals, and especially those taking part for the first time.”
Manx Telecom retail staff will be present prior to the presentation showcasing FitBit devices which are great for tracking your training progress and helping you to stay motivated, and mobile chargers to ensure your phone charge lasts when you are training, and on race day.
If you haven’t yet entered this year’s Manx Telecom Parish Walk there’s still time to sign up and receive a discount on the full price entry fee. All entries must be made online at www.parishwalk.com – sign up before March 31 and it costs just £35. The fee is £40 from April 1 until the final closing date on May 7.